Monday 30 May 2011

Doing the works of Jesus

I have been a Christian for about 36 years and have throroughly enjoyed my life adventure with God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). God is infinite and there is no end to knowing him so there is always more to discover. God loves to reveal new things to us, and at the moment it seems to me that God is revealing an "old truth" to his church - that is that we need to "seek first the kingdom".
My adventure into this new revelation (for me anyway) started  about 4 years ago when I suddenly realised that I didn't fully believe all that the Bible teaches - that sounds like a shocking statement, but the realisation stirred a fresh hunger in me for a fully Biblical lifestyle.
John 14 v 12 states that anyone who has faith in Jesus will do the works that Jesus did, and not only that but even greater things. Over the years I had been taught that this was not possible and so my expectation and faith fell short of what the Bible says. But suddenly I saw someone who did believe this verse was true, not only believing it but demonstrating the reality of it through miracles, healings etc etc. I had to find out more and thus began an exciting and challenging journey, not only for myself but also for North Kent Community Church as we seek to do the works of Jesus and even greater things.
I realised that I had been living below the full  level of the gospel of Jesus; this good news is even better than I had understood  before in that Jesus not only forgave my sins and filled me with the Holy spirit but he also raised me up to be seated with him in heavenly places. I can live from a heavenly perspective with heaven's resources. This makes all things possible.
I also came to realise more fully that Jesus lived on earth as a human being filled with the Holy Spirit and it was in that capacity that he performed his miracles etc. He is God, but lived on earth as a man whilst retaining his deity.
These realisations have opened my eyes to the possibility of my life being an expression of the Kingdom of Heaven just as Jesus was. Some people ask me, "What is the Kingdom of Heaven?"  My answer now is that it is simply "a reflection of the King of Heaven".
My aim is to reflect Jesus more and more effectively through my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment